Sunday, July 26, 2009

My first ER trip in a VERY long time...

Apparently in my family there is a tradition of injuring yourself when you get a new dog. I don't remember what happened with Katy, but Stephen got 7 stitches in his big toe when we got Kylee. Now with Piper, it was my turn.

I was playing with her by the pond yesterday when she pulled on the leash to chase a frog trying to drag me with her. As I put my hand out to steady myself, I sliced it on a rock, and had to get two stitches.

I stood up with blood just pouring down my arm. I washed it off in the pond so I could see how bad it was. The cut was only about 1 1/2 inches long, but was deep. It was on the palm, just below the first and second fingers, therefore, whenever I moved those fingers, it opened back up again.

I chained up Piper to her run, and went inside. Not being able to get ahold of my husband, I called Rock, who confirmed that I really should go to the ER to get some stitches. I had to drive myself (with my left hand wrapped in paper towels sticking out the window - this kept it elevated as well as the blood OUTSIDE of the car).

Two hours, two stitches and a tetanus shot later I was home. I had enough time to shower (keeping my left hand out of the water-showering with one hand is difficult) and change to head off to Greg & Angela's party. Seeing as how my hand was wrapped up in bandages I had to tell this story at least 20 times last night.

I still had fun at the party. Good people, good drinks, good fun!

I have to get the stitches removed in a week and a half or so, so the next few days should be very interesting (obviously clarinet playing is out of the picture for a while)

No comments: