Sunday, April 08, 2007

what a weekend...

This weekend has been a mix of emotions.

Saturday was the memorial service for my grandmother's sister. (my mom's aunt, for those of you keeping track). It was a great remembrance. Everyone sat in my aunt's living room, sharing stories and memories of my Auntie Dot. After we were done, my grandfather went to stand up, but couldn't. He didn't look good, and was very unsteady on his feet. His right leg wasn't working the way he wanted it to. We called an ambulance, which took him to the local hospital in York, ME. We continued on with the rest of the day, with the aunts and uncles taking turns staying with him at the hospital. He didn't seem to be too bad, so I came back home that night.

Sunday the boy and I went down to see his family on the south shore for Easter. When we got there, his family had a surprise get-together for our engagement. I found it very difficult to focus and be happy, thinking of my grampy. I kept receiving updates throughout the day from family members, which made it even harder to keep a smiling face with his family. His relatives are all great, and understood, but I felt bad for not being able to share in their joy.

Grampy is now at Mass General, where he is undergoing more tests. They found an aneurysm in his leg that had burst, and is slowly bleeding out. That would explain how awful he looked yesterday (his skin was gray). They're looking into surgery options, but I haven't heard anything for a while. The most important thing is for my Grampy to fight.

Fight, Grampy, fight...

No comments: