Thursday, July 26, 2007

Following the Sox Day 7

Again, no pics, but I will get them soon!

Today we started at A Christmas Story House and Museum. It was fun to look around and see what you remember from the movie (even though Debbie has apparently never seen it). They had the snowsuit and rifle in a display case. They also had many leg lamps that you could buy (I bought a nightlight version) I never realized the movie was shot in Cleveland (it took place somewhere else, and a lot of the scenes were also shot in CA as well as Canada). A few years back, the house was for sale on EBay, and a guy (who has the company that makes the leg lamps - apparently he's obsessed with the movie) who lives in CA bought it and is having MAJOR renovations done to make it look like it did in the movie. They mostly used the house for outdoor scenes in the movie, they shot the inside scenes on a soundstage. The house was originally a duplex, and had to be completely gutted. They couldn't recreate the dining room, because there wasn't actually room for it in the house, it would have to be on the neighboor's property if they wanted to do that. All of the furniture that is in there was donated, and is all 1940s-era furniture that is similar to what they used in the movie. It was fun. I'll post pics later.

Next we went to the Cleveland Zoo. IT IS HUUUUUGE!!! We didn't even get a chance to see some of the exhibits because it was so big! It was a lot of fun. We saw a rainforest exhibit, and I got to touch manta rays, and there was an entire Dinosaur exhibit that had life size moving mechanical dinosaurs. One of them even spit water (instead of poisonous juices, which is a good substitute as far as I am concerned). There were a lot of great exhibits, I had a great time, and took A LOT of photos. (which, again, I apologize, but I really don't feel like logging them into shutterfly...I want to label, and don't just want to dump).

We went to Houlihan's in Tower City for dinner again. I forgot to mention that we went there yesterday too. So let's backtrack...

Yesterday we went to Houlihan's. GREAT FOOD!!! They have this special - 3 minitinis for $8.50, instead of one martini for the same price. It was way cool, because you can try three different ones. I tried a quavatini, a chocolatetini, and a cosmotini. We split an appetizer sampler of buffalo fingers, stuffed mushrooms, and quesadillas. Then I had AN AMAZING SALAD!!! It was a Calamari salad with an asian-inspired base. You eat it with chopsticks, and it has cabbage instead of lettuce. And the strangest thing is, it had BANANAS in it...which sounds like it would be gross, but it was DELICIOUS!!! And since our waitress accidentally spilled a little of the martinis on me, she felt bad and gave us a free dessert. Yum!

Today we went back to Houlihan's, and we requested the same waitress, because she was so nice. We practically got our own room. We were in a little niche, and there was no one else around. I got the three minitinis again, but I got a bluetini, adam and eve tini (apple) and the cosmo tini again. I ordered the Ahi Tuna Salad, which has the same base as the calamari salad, but has Ahi Tuna again. IT IS SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD!!!!! We split an order of creme brulee for dessert. YUMMY!!!

Then it was off to the ballgame. We left later than normal, because there was a thunderstorm DIRECTLY overhead, and we didn't want to go outside in it. One crash of thunder was so loud, I swear to you it shook the entire hotel!!! The game was only about 1/2 hour late in starting, which wasn't too bad. Tonight's game was definitely NOT a pitcher's duel. We ran away with it for a bit, the Tribe tried to come back, but it wasn't enough, we blasted in a few more, and it was over. There was a 3 week old baby girl behind us with her parents, and this was her 2nd Sox game!!

Great game tonight!!

We head back to Pennsylvania tomorrow, and fly out of Pittsburgh to Boston on Saturday. Perhaps I should call my little brother at some point and remind him to pick me up from the bus station....

No comments: